Democratic Life’s campaign has hit the headlines again this week, with a feature in free education news publication SecEd. The article highlights the success of our work together so far and that there is still more to do to. You can help us improve the DFE draft programmes of study which are out for consultation until 16 April 2013.
The article points out the five essential changes we believe are necessary to improve the draft programmes of study. These are to:
- Include a clear requirement to teach about human rights
- Clarify active citizenship is not just volunteering but involves pupils taking part in genuine social and democratic action in their schools and communities
- Enhance the new requirement for financial education to include economic understanding and public finance
- Ensure key stage 3 is not solely focused on the UK but includes the European, international and global dimensions of the subject
- Improve the subject aims and show appropriate progression between key stages 3 and 4, especially in key aspects such as the law.
To read the article in full see http://www.sec-ed.co.uk/news/citizenship-is-not-just-volunteering/
We will be publishing our response to the DFE consultation soon.
We urge our supporters to get online and have their say about the proposals.